Recipe for watermelon rind preserves in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 1 1/2 quarts prepared watermelon rind, about 6 cups
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced lemon, about 1 medium lemon
How to make watermelon rind preserves
- Trim the green skin and pink flesh from the rind.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Dissolve the salt in 8 cups of water and pour over the rind.
- Let stand 5 to 6 hours. Drain, rinse and drain again.
- Cover with cold water and let stand 30 minutes.
- Drain. Sprinkle the ginger over the rind.
- Cover with water and cook until fork tender. Drain.
- Combine the sugar, lemon juice and 6 cups water in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Boil for 5 minutes. Add the rind and boil gently for 30 minutes or until syrup thickens.
- Add sliced lemon and cook until the rind is transparent.
- Pack hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 20 minutes in boiling water bath.