Recipe for turkey empanadas in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 1 cup cooked turkey, cubed
- 1 1/3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces canned green chiles, drained
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 4 teaspoons corn meal, for topping
How to make turkey empanadas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together the turkey, cheese and chilies. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal and salt.
- Cut in the butter until particles are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle with water and mix with pastry blender or fork until pastry can be formed into a ball.
- Add a little more water, if necessary.
- Divide dough into two equal portions.
- Turn one portion onto a floured board and roll into an 11 inch square.
- Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- Spread half the turkey mixture over half of the pastry square, coming to within 1 1/2 inches of the edge.
- Fold other half of pastry over it and crimp edges to seal.
- Repeat this procedure with other portion of dough and remainder of turkey mixture.
- Brush turnovers with milk. Sprinkle remaining corn meal on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly. Slice into wedges to serve.