Recipe for tortilla soup in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas, torn into spoon-sized pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, pureed
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes, peeled and pureed
- 1/4 cup canned tomato puree
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 1 ripe haas avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into strips and fried crisp
How to make tortilla soup
- The onion and tomato may be pureed together in your blender or food processor.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Saute the tortilla pieces with the garlic until tortillas soften.
- Add the pureed onion and tomato and bring to a boil.
- Add the canned tomato puree, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check seasonings and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve hot and garnish each serving with cooked chicken breast, avocado, cheddar cheese and crisp tortilla strips.