Recipe for Texas red in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds lean boneless beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried hot peppers
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons masa harina
How to make Texas red
- In a large Dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until very lightly browned.
- Add the beef cubes in several batches and brown on all sides.
- When all the beef is browned, add all remaining ingredients except the Masa Harina.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over low heat for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is very tender.
- If too much of the liquid cooks away, add some more hot water during the cooking.
- Adjust salt and chili powder, adding more to taste if desired.
- To thicken the chili, mix the Masa Harina with a little cold water, then add this to the chili while it is still simmering.
- Cook the chili 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Serve the chili in bowls with saltines and cooked pinto beans on the side.