Recipe for Texas red rice in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 1 cup long grain rice, not instant rice
- 2 tablespoons lard or peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 8 ounces can tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
How to make Texas red rice
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet.
- Add the rice and stir over medium-high heat until rice is golden brown.
- Add the garlic and chopped onion. Saute until the onion just begins to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, chili powder and salt. Lower heat and cover.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.