Recipe for Texas pork stew in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound boneless pork shoulder or pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 2 large onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large can hominy, drained well
How to make Texas pork stew
- Heat oil in 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add pork and brown on all sides.
- Add onions and garlic and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- To cook on stovetop: Add broth, chiles and oregano. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until pork is tender. Add hominy and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- To cook in crockpot: Place cooked pork, onions, and garlic along with remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours, or on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, skim off and discard any floating chile skin. Pour stew into individual bowls, removing any more chile skin.
- May be served with toppings of chopped lettuce, tomato and cilantro, or shredded cheese.