Recipe for Texas chili in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 3 pounds round steak, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound pinto beans
- 2 quart tomatoes
- 1 pound yellow onions
- 3 sweet bell peppers
- 5 dried chile peppers
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- Red pepper
- 1/4 cup Crisco
- 2 tablespoons Crisco
- 1/2 gal. water
- 1/4 cup sugar
How to make Texas chili
- Soak pinto beans in 1/2 gallon water overnight in refrigerator.
- In a 10 to 12 inch skillet, brown round steak in the 1/4 cup Crisco, stirring frequently.
- In another skillet, brown ground chuck on low heat, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Cut up onions and bell peppers in 1/2 inch pieces. Add to ground chuck with 2 tablespoons Crisco and saute for approximately 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Mince chile peppers very fine.
- In a large 8 quart or larger kettle, combine pinto beans, browned round steak, sauteed ground chuck, onions, peppers, 2 quarts tomatoes, minced chile peppers and the 1/2 cup chili powder. Cook covered on simmer for 2 hours.
- Add salt and red pepper to taste. Add sugar and simmer for 4 hours. Add additional water sparingly, if necessary.
- Taste and add more chili powder, salt, red pepper and sugar as desired. Simmer 1 hour.
- Serve with Texas toast or oyster crackers and ice cold milk or iced tea.