Recipe for Texas barbecue sauce in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 6 dried red New Mexican chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 4 dried chiltepin chiles
- 1/2 cup commercial chili sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1 cup catsup
- 5 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
How to make Texas barbecue sauce
- Cover the chiles with hot water and let them sit for 30 minutes until softened.
- In a blender, puree the chiles with 1 cup of the water they were soaked in until smooth.
- Saute onion and garlic in the oil until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree the sauce in a blender until smooth.
- To use, apply toward the end of the grilling time as the sauce may burn otherwise.
- This sauce can be used with beef, pork and poultry.