Recipe for sweet potato pie in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, large or jumbo, separated, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 unbaked 9 inch deep dish or 10 inch regular pie shell
- Whipped cream or whipped topping, optional
How to make sweet potato pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter, beaten egg yolks, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy. Blend in half-and-half.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into sweet potato mixture.
- Pour filling into an unbaked pie shell, and bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 degrees F, and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Allow to cool. Top with whipped cream or whipped topping, if desired.