Recipe for strawberry chiffon pie in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed and sliced in halves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin, 1 tablespoon
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Dash of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1, 9 inch, pastry shell, baked
How to make strawberry chiffon pie
- In a medium bowl, roughly mash the strawberries with a potato masher. Add 1/2 cup sugar to the berries, stir, and set aside for 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the gelatin and cold water. Turn heat to low to dissolve. Allow to cool.
- Combine strawberries, lemon juice and salt in medium bowl. Add cooled gelatin mixture to strawberry mixture and stir. Chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture is partially set.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the strawberry mixture. Then, fold in the whipped cream. Refrigerate until mixture is set enough to mound. Pile into a baked and cooled 9 inch pastry shell.
- Return pie to refrigerator and chill until filling is firm, about 5 hours. Garnish with additional whipped cream, if desired.