Recipe for spoon bread in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs, separated
How to make spoon bread
- In a saucepan, scald the milk. Stir in cornmeal.
- Reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in butter, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks.
- Gradually stir in a small amount of the hot mixture into yolks.
- Return all to pan and mix well.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into hot mixture until well blended.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch square baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes or until well puffed.