Recipe for smoky tomatillo salsa in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 canned chipolte chiles, finely chopped or 2 dried chipolte chiles
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, preferably mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
How to make smoky tomatillo salsa
- Heat the broiler and cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- With baking sheet 5 to 6 inches from flame, broil the tomatillos for 15 to 18 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Tomatillos will darken in spots.
- Remove from broiler, allow to cool and finely chop.
- Warm the olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the onion and saute until softened.
- In a bowl, combine the onion and tomatillos.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients.
- May be served warm or cold.