Recipe for roast Texas turkey in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 1, 16 to 18 pounds, turkey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 apples
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers
- Giblet gravy
How to make roast Texas turkey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Rinse and dry turkey. Remove neck and giblet bag from the small cavity in front and the large body cavity. Season inside turkey cavity with salt and pepper. Use salt sparingly if using a pre-basted turkey. Rub exterior of turkey generously with vegetable oil and place in a large roasting pan with shallow sides.
- Cut apples and orange into quarters. Cut lemons in half. Pierce jalapeno peppers with a fork. Insert apple, orange, lemon and jalapeno peppers into cavity.
- Roast turkey 15 to 20 minutes per pound. Temperature should read 180 degrees F when an instant-read meat thermometer is inserted in the thickest part of the thigh. The leg should also move easily at the joint.
- The turkey should be ready for 1 hour before dinner is served. Loosely tent with foil to keep warm and carve just before serving.