Recipe for pinto bean salad in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, with tops, sliced
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to make pinto bean salad
- Put the pintos in a large Dutch oven and cover with fresh water.
- Add the bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Then cover and simmer the beans for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the salt and simmer another 30 minutes until beans are tender.
- Fish out the bay leaf and discard.
- Drain the beans and allow to cool until warm, but no longer hot.
- Combine the lemon and lime juice and salt.
- Beat in the olive oil gradually until well mixed.
- Add the garlic and cilantro.
- Check seasonings and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour dressing over the warm beans and mix until well coated.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and onions and toss well.