Recipe for hush puppies in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons bacon drippings, melted
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- Crisco or other vegetable shortening for frying
How to make hush puppies
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well.
- Melt enough shortening in a skillet or deep fryer to completely cover the hush puppies.
- Heat to a temperature of 375 degrees F.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil and deep fry until crisp and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve at once.