Recipe for huevos rancheros in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 6, 6 inch, corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces canned green chiles, undrained
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
How to make huevos rancheros
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fry tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil, 5 seconds on each side or just until softened. Drain tortillas on paper towels.
- Line a 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish with tortillas, letting tortillas extend 1/2 inch up the side of the dish. Set baking dish aside.
- Saute onion and garlic until crisp-tender in skillet used for frying tortillas.
- Add tomatoes, chiles and salt.
- Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour mixture over tortillas.
- Make 6 indentations in tomato mixture, and break an egg into each.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.