Recipe for crispy fried chicken in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 3 pounds frying chicken pieces
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups Crisco or other vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
How to make crispy fried chicken
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Set aside. Combine the egg and milk in a separate dish. Set aside.
- In a heavy skillet, melt shortening to a depth of 1 inch over high heat. While the shortening is heating, rinse the chicken pieces and drain.
- Working with one or two pieces at a time, flour the chicken, shaking to remove excess, then coat with the milk/egg mixture, then dredge again in the flour mixture, coating well. Place pieces in a single layer on a piece of waxed paper until all are coated.
- When the melted shortening reaches a temperature of 360 degrees F on a frying thermometer, carefully add the chicken pieces, skin side down, starting with the dark meat in the center of the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium-high and fry chicken until skin side is golden brown, then turn and brown the other side.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cover the pan. Cook for 25 minutes, and remove the cover. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces, and drain on paper towels. Serve hot, or refrigerate and take with you on a picnic.