Recipe for chuck wagon chili in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into small stew-size chunks, including fat
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground oregano
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 to 2 quart water
- 1/3 cup masa harina or cornmeal
How to make chuck wagon chili
- Using some of the fat, render fat for browning rest of meat.
- Brown meat in a cast-iron Dutch oven.
- Add chili powder, oregano, garlic, cumin and cayenne. Stir to coat meat.
- Add water and stir. Bring liquid to boil and simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Make a thick paste of Masa Harina or cornmeal and add to chili. Stir to prevent lumping.
- Remove lid and simmer 30 to 45 minutes longer to thicken and reduce stew to desired consistency.