Recipe for calabacita con puerco in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 pounds pork chops, boned and cubed
- 3 or 4 serrano chiles, or more or less to taste
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 pounds squash, yellow or zucchini or Mexican squash, sliced, large slices quartered
- 1 can whole kernel corn, including liquid
- 2 cans Ro-Tel chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
How to make calabacita con puerco
- Heat shortening in Dutch oven. Fry pork cubes in batches until browned. Return all pork to pan.
- Place chiles and onion in food processor container and process until chopped.
- Slice garlic and place with cumin seed and salt in a mortar and pestle and grind together.
- Add chiles, onion, garlic, cumin and salt to pan with pork and cook over high heat until onion is transparent.
- Sprinkle flour over pork and vegetables and stir to combine.
- Cook a few minutes to remove the raw taste of the flour.
- Add all remaining ingredients plus about 1 tomato can of water, enough so that pork and vegetables are not quite covered with liquid.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook at a simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, checking periodically and adding more water if necessary.