Recipe for black bean soup in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 1 pound black beans
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 1/4 pound diced ham
- 4 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery including leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup sherry
How to make black bean soup
- Wash black beans, cover with water and allow to soak overnight. Rinse. Drain. Set aside.
- Pour oil into large soup pot. Add bacon, ham, onion, garlic and celery.
- Cook at high simmer until vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add beans, rice, seasonings and broth to soup pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Let soup cool. Put through the blender a little at a time, until smooth.
- Return to soup pot. Reheat on low about 45 minutes, adding wine and sherry.
- Serve hot.