Recipe for bean and cornbread casserole in our easy tex mex recipes collection.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced or put through a press
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably mexican oregano)
- 2 8 ounces cans tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup cooked pinto beans, drained
- 2/3 cup cooked black beans, drained
- 1 4.5 ounces can chopped green chiles, drained
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1 1/3 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal mix, not cornbread mix
How to make bean and cornbread casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, oregano, tomato sauce, pinto beans, black beans and chiles.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Pour the bean mixture into the dish, cover and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg and corn, stirring well.
- Add the self-rising cornmeal and stir, just to combine.
- Pour the cornmeal mixture over the bean mixture in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cornbread topping is lightly browned. Serve hot.